One of the sweetest towns in Bucks County is Perkasie – a center point between Philadelphia, Allentown and New Hope PA.
Originally part of 11,462 acres owned by William Penn’s daughter’s husband Thomas Freamer the 200 acres then forming the town were sold to John Lacey who then sold the land to Jacob Stout. Many locals are aware of that name from driving down Jacob Stout Rd in Doylestown.
Jacob Stout built one of the largest manors in Perkasie; a large stone dwelling at Fifth and Spruce Streets. In the winter of 1777-78 when the British were in control of Philadelphia a troop of 56 Dragoons took over the Stout homestead and quartered themselves for the winter making themselves right at home by eating all the family had and feeding their horses from the Stouts’ store of hay and grain. Jacob Stout died in 1779 and is buried in a small plot near 8th and Chestnut still known as the Stout Burial ground.
In 1869 Joseph Hendricks and Mahlon Myers purchased the Henry Nace farm upon which the present Perkasie is built. Fun Fact: In 1881 Perkasie had 13 kerosene lamps in the streets and they paid Frank Ott 12 cents per night to light them and then extinguish them. (That's right – the nearby town of Ottsville was named after Frank!)
From these humble beginnings, Perkasie has grown to a community covering 15,034 acres or 2.67 square miles with over 8,500 residents. Beautiful shops and quality restaurants contribute to a walkability score that gets better every year. Moderately dense, with sidewalks for strolling, Perkasie has a great active community group with a full calendar of events that makes getting to know your neighbors easy and fun. A diverse range of housing styles and housing prices as well as easy access to major routes makes Perkasie a terrific alternative to larger more congested towns such as Doylestown and Quakertown.